Login & Account Help Session Overview
How to Create an Account
- Go to http://semxxi.mit.edu and click CREATE AN ACCOUNT in the top right corner. You will be taken to the Touchstone interface to create your account.
- Select Touchstone Collaborative Account from the drop-down list.
- Create an account by entering all the required information. Be sure to click the box AGREE WITH RULES.
- Click ACTIVATE ACCOUNT.
- Important: Open the email you used to create your account and retrieve the Touchstone notification email that will provide you with a link and a code to activate your account.
- Open the email and confirm your ID by clicking the link indicated. Then enter the Activation Code provided in the email in the Touchstone screen/box. Click ACTIVATE.
- Return to http://semxxi.mit.edu and repeat the login steps. Click LOGIN at the top right of the home page and enter your login information. This allows the website administrator to see your login and add you to the list of approved users.
- Send an email to email@example.com to let us know who you are and the email that you used to create your account.
If you do not arrive at the Touchstone interface window to begin the account process, please go to https://wayf.mit.edu/WAYF and you can create an account from there.
It may take up to 24 hours for your account to be activated.
More information About Touchstone
Visit http://web.mit.edu/touchstone/www/index.html for detailed notes about the secure login system and information about troubleshooting.
Why is my browser asking me to add an exception?
What does "Downloading Certificate" mean?
Touchstone works by placing a certificate on the computer requesting access to the secure system. This certificate allows the secure site to recognize the computer on future visits. Seminar XXI is currently working on enabling the site to recognize visitors without requiring repeated certificate approval.
Common Login Issues
Missing or incorrect username or password.
- To login using Touchstone, you must provide your correct username and password.
- If you have forgotten your username or password or need assistance with them, please contact the MIT Information Systems & Technology help desk at 617.253.1101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to enable cookies on your web browser.
- Touchstone requires that your web browser accept cookies, small files that web servers send to your computer.
- Having a cookie for an MIT Touchstone website identifies you to the site and allows you to navigate through different pages on the site without having to login for each new page that you open.
- You can usually enable cookies in the Settings or Preferences dialog of your browser. For instruction on enabling cookies click here >
Your session expired before you were able to log in.
- You must enter your correct username and password within five minutes of the Touchstone page loading in your browser window.
- After this time has elapsed, you must start the authentication process again by returning to the original site that sent you to the Touchstone interface.
- Reloading the Touchstone login page will not work—you must be directed to the Touchstone login page from the original site due to technology limitations.
Seminar XXI may not know that your account has been created.
- Email the Seminar XXI site administrator at email@example.com to let us know that you have created your account and would like to access the secure areas of the site.
- Be sure to include the email address you used to create your Touchstone account.